In honor of National Singles Week, I will posting daily on some aspect of singlehood, singleness, or singledom that is singlerific or at the very least interesting to me.
Today’s topic for $100 is sitcoms focusing on singleness. I disqualified those that are about single parents, that’s a different genre. I’ve also over looked teen shows. So my single shows focus on people who no longer live with their parents or depend on them for survival. Take a look at this list and see if there are any I’ve missed.
1. Friends (1994-2004) –
2. Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977) Single and 30, Mary moves to Minneapolis to persue her dreams.
3. Sex and the City (1998-2004) – We all loves the ladies of NY who enhanced our love of shoes.
4. Rescue Me – (2004-??) – This show is all about being single, they’re FDNY for heaven sakes
5. Seinfeld – 1989-1998 – The show about singles living a life of nothing.
6. Suddenly Susan (1996-2000) – Starring Brooke Shields as a new single living life on her own in San Francisco. She won this role after her guest appearance on Friends. (The One After the Superbowl)
7. The Single Guy (1995-1997) – Starring Jonathan Silverman as a consumate bachelor having trouble finding love. He also won his role after his appearance on Friends. Mariska Hargitay and Ernest Borgnine also starred.
8. Caroline in the City (1995-1999) – Lea Thompson (Marty McFly’s mom) livin’ large as a cartoonist in NYC secretly attracted to her jr. designer though dating an obnoxious salesman.
9. Ellen (1994-1998) – It’s no wonder Ellen had trouble dating men on this show, she was a lesbian.
10. Joey (2004-2006) – Joey Tribbiani lives on in this official Friends spinoff that only lasted for two seasons. The show didn’t even last long enough for any of the original six to come by and guest star.
11. Living Single (1993-1998) – Queen Latifah and friends in NYC surviving singlehood. I loved this show.
12. Cheers (1982-1993) – Everyone knows your name and dates crazy people. Who remembers when Sam sets Diane up with the ex-con?
13. Scrubs (2001-???) – Hapless, naive doctor JD and his troubles committing.
14. How I Met Your Mother (2005-??) – Title character is telling his kids, way the future, how he met their mother. So we’re along for his dating ride.
15. Three’s Company (1977-1984) – Come and knock on the door …and many would be suitors did.
16. Magnum P.I. (1980-1988) – Hawaiian shirts, expensive cars and lots of women.
17. The Odd Couple (1970-1975) – Grumpy and clean together
18. Laverne & Shirley (1976-1982) – Shlameal, Shlamazel hobbity, hob incorporated.
19. Girlfriends (2000-??) – Show on UPN I’ve never seen this one. A friend at work told me about it.
20. MacGyver (1985-1992) – Fashioning bombs with a paper clip and calculators, he was also a heartbreaker.