Musings on being 30
Well I’ve been 30 for a month now. I have some friends who are about to make the big leap and I feel the need to share my wisdom and perspective and somehow ease their transition through the mental hurdles we have on our 30th birthdays.
So here are things I learned …
1. Aging is good. Would you go back to 20 if you could? Being young has its drawbacks. With age comes history and experience, which beats the heck out of being able to stay up all night with little consequence.
2. Stronger sense of self. I wish I could go back and talk to myself at 20 or even 25 and ask myself what the heck I’m doing. Why am I so worried about what everyone else thinks?
3. Being 30 means I’m further removed from high school. Not that high school was awful but come one what a difficult time of becoming. The process of growing up is hard work. Its a wonder anyone survives.
4. I look forward to being 50 – when I feel free enough to say and do what I want.
5. I know better what I want and where I’m going. My goals are clearer. I think that is tied to a stronger sense of self and having worked on some of my issues.
So being 30 not so bad. I highly recommend it 🙂 I didn’t wake up with more wisdom other than what is provided with the collected reflection of 30 years of life. I can see where I’ve been and how its shaped who I am. There are things I’m not proud of and other things that were painful but so essential for character development.
One thing I fear about getting older is that I’m going to turn into one of those people who constantly tell stories about when they were younger. LOL It’s odd how much the world has changed. I remember life without computers. I have lived through 6 presidents. I remember life before the Berlin wall came down and atari was cutting edge. But how fun is that!
Life is good.